Shaykh Arif engages in discussion on Imamology and the status of Imams in relation to the Prophets, at the Centre of Intra Muslim Studies (CIMS). Shaykh further addresses questions not resolved in the following video
- The mission of the Prophets was confined to a limited time and people, whilst the mission of Imams was comprehensive, unlimited & valid till the last day as they are representatives of the final Prophet’s mission – one which is for all people till the last day.
- Imam Ali likened to Harun, whilst the Prophet – Musa. This shows the high status of Imams and their ministry
- The mission of the Imams isn’t in contradiction with the principle of finality of prophethood as
- The Imams carried on their mission as representatives of the Prophet, not as prophets themselves
- The ranks of the imams in relation to the Prophets isn’t a matter of principle of faith which is why there is a difference of opinion even amongst the Shia
- The view of the superiority of the Imams to other Prophets doesn’t contradict the verse of the Quran talking about the prophets وَكُلًّا فَضَّلْنَا عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ (Each one (of them) did We prefer above (Our) creatures) [6:86] just as the following verse talking about the Bani Israel وَأَنِّي فَضَّلْتُكُمْ عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ (I favoured you and how I preferred you to (all) creatures) [2:47] doesn’t contradict the superiority of the last Ummah which we believe is the best of the Ummahs – and as the Final messenger is higher than all the other prophets, likewise the Ummah of the Last Prophet is higher than the other Ummahs including the Bani Israel